Hints and tips for Subcontracted items
– When you are choosing a caterer it is important to make sure you ask them about the catering tent before you sign on the dotted line. Some caterers will expect you to supply and pay for all of the facilities and some can supply you with some of the equipment. The catering tent is your first job on the list, find out what size they require and if the tent needs to be joined to the main structure, as this can cost you extra. Also DO NOT FORGET THE LIGHTS. Lots of people forget that lighting will be needed in a catering tent and think that a gazebo bought from the supermarket will do the job, it will not! Make sure the catering tent structure is strong, weatherproof and big enough for your caterers and their equipment.
– Finally find out how much power they need, you may find they can bring their own generators! And don’t forget to ask them if they need tables to be supplied.
– When hiring a generator, make sure you ask for a super-silent one, there is nothing more off putting than the humming of a generator while the best man is reading his speech!
Also when you book your generator, it is worth enquiring if the company has lighting that you can hire for your car park area. When the sun has set and the evening is coming to an end, you must remember that you are on a field and you need to make sure your guests can walk to their cars or taxis along a safely lit path.
P.S. A great way to mark out a car parking area on a field is by using shepherds’ hooks and bunting, try and keep this close to the entrance so that you don’t have tyre tracks ruining your lovely green grassed land. Make sure you have walkway matting leading from place to place keeping those heels out of the ground
– Luxury toilet trailers are a must, they are very posh inside with little touches for added comfort – you can even have your iPod playing in them these days! They come in many different colours; some companies do them in green which really helps them to blend into the background so that they don’t stand out
*Don’t forget wheel chairs access if it is required, speak to your supplier and ask them to supply the specialist equipment *
– Heating is worth having in your budget for celebrations from late September through to April; you don’t want your guests getting a bit nippy during the wedding breakfast. But during the Summer months you do not need to worry about having heating as our tipis have gorgeous fire pits that you can sit around in the evening if the temperature drops.
– Rubbish removal again is an area that people pass by, you do find that some bars and caterers will remove there rubbish from site but make sure you have this in writing before paying your deposit. A simple way of removing rubbish from site is either by contacting the local council and paying for a special collection or you can hire a mini skip, which can be hidden behind some bamboo fencing.
Once you have ticked all of these boxes you are well on your way to a great celebration. Make sure all of your deposits are paid and then it’s time to start looking inside to decide on how you want to decorate your venue. For a sneak preview check out our sideshow on You Tube of interior decoration in the tipis that were used by some of brides in the last season.
Next time: Tipi or marquee? Decorating and furnishing.